Going to a healthcare professional can be stressful, but being prepared can minimize the stress. Your objective is to create a partnership with your doctor that will help you manage your health. As you prepare to visit your healthcare professional, please consider the following questions:
- What do you think is my problem (diagnosis)?
- What is the best way to further diagnose or treat this problem?
- What evidence do you have to support the testing or treatment you suggest?
- What are the alternatives to the testing or treatment you suggest?
- What benefit and/or harm can I expect from this testing or treatment?
- How will this testing or treatment make me feel?
- What is the cost of this testing or treatment?
- What can I do to prevent other problems from developing or to keep this problem from getting worse?
- What data do you have showing the results of your care of patients with this problem?
- Where can I go for additional reliable information about this problem?
- What is my chance of survival and how long will I live if I undergo this treatment?
- What will my “quality of life” be with and without this treatment?
For more information about your benefits, please see your Benefits Handbook.